Q. What kind of turnaround can I expect? What if I am in a big hurry?
A. I can generally make shorter time-frames work, within reason. Turnaround time will depend on my current workload, your deadline, and the amount of time needed to complete your work request. To help me determine how quickly I can complete your request, first refer to the Services page for a description of the various types of editing services you might require. Then refer to the Estimates information above to determine whether the estimated cost makes sense for you.
The variation in editing time depends on the quality of your work prior to editing, the number of tables or figures, and the number of citations and references. These estimates are based on a sample of actual work times. These estimates are based on a sample of actual work times, but any estimate of the work needed for your document should not be interpreted as contract or quoted firm cost. Clients who are referred by my past clients most often feel comfortable extending trust that I will complete their work in a fair and cost-efficient manner. If getting a firm quote on editing charges is of particular concern for you, it might be that you’d be more comfortable seeking services from someone else who offers that. As explained on my Rates page, I find a per-hour charge the most fair. It is helpful to send your work with extra time before your deadline because I may identify topics you’ll need to ask your advisor about or errors that you might need to correct on your own, such as missing references that I may be unable to locate online.
If you request a quick turn-around time that will require immediate overnight work or more than 8 hours per workday until the deadline, a surcharge of 10% may be added. I will let you know in advance (before starting work on your document) if I will request a surcharge.
Q. What is the work process or steps we take together to complete the project?
A. There are many variations of how we can work together, but I’ll describe here the most common protocol.
1. You send the document needing editing, letting me know whether you want (a) just an APA format & style edit, (b) just a content edit (a read-thru for grammar and logical flow), or (c) both. Also let me know your deadline, if you have one.
2. I let you know (a) whether or not I can meet your deadline based on the work needed and (b) an estimate of cost, based on my average speed for the requested work and the apparent amount of work needed.
3. If you find the cost estimate feasible for you, send half the estimated amount as a prepayment. An electronic transfer such as Paypal will get us started faster, but you could mail a money order or personal check, if you wish. However, I will not be able to start editing until after the payment has cleared. For larger jobs, I am also flexible with taking a small down-payment. I have multiple references I can refer you to, if you have any concerns about my integrity and/or ability.
4. I will work the number of hours that was prepaid, focusing on the APA and format issues first, if that was part of the request. I will send the results to you in two documents. One will be a track changes version, showing all the changes I have made. The other will be a “clean” version, having the same edits but not showing the markup indicating where the changes were made.
5. I will let you know at that point if it seems that in finishing the requested edits I am likely to substantially go over or under the estimated time. I will let you know if I see a need for other types of work that you didn’t request, such as adding some standard wording (i.e., about human subjects concerns) that is typically included but is missing in your document. We can discuss your priorities for the continued work, and then proceed again as described in step 4.
If you would like more "fine print" details, please click the following button.
Q. How do I get an estimate?
A. Visit the "Pricing" tab to get a good idea of average costs based on page count. Alternately, I can create a custom estimate based on a light review of your document for a small fee as described in the pricing section.
Q. What are your rates?
A. My rates match my skill. I have been told by multiple clients that even though they had used "cheaper" services in the past, they ended up saving time and money with my services. I will get your work edited quickly and correctly.
See the Estimates question below for detailed per-hour, per-page, and per-word averages to see how these rates translate to per-project costs. I keep my clients in the loop at all times. If the scope of the project changes, I will always discuss those changes with you, before incurring any unexpected costs.
Q. When can you start? Do I need to put money down?
A. After clarifying what work you would like me to complete, you can request an estimate of charges based on my average work speed for the type of work requested. Please note that this is not a quote; the amount of charges will vary from the estimate depending on the amount of time needed for your particular document. Pay an installment at an amount of your choosing. It is most efficient and customary to send a payment at half the estimated amount. I will then work up to the number of prepaid hours and will send the document for your inspection as well as an invoice describing the work completed. We can repeat the process until you are satisfied that the work is completed. If the agreed-on work is completed before spending the number of pre-paid hours, I will refund the balance. This payment option allows you to keep track of the accrual of expenses so that you can make sure not to exceed your budgeted amount.
Payment options include the following:
1. Send Paypal payments to: ardell.broadbent at gmail.com. Please add 3%, which is the transfer fee that will be subtracted from the payment by PayPal. If you don’t have a Paypal account, let me know and I’ll send a payment request allowing you to pay thru credit card.
2. Send thru Chase quickpay or Venmo (which currently has no transfer fee). Call or message me via the contact form on this site for details.
3. To send a money order or personal check thru postal mail, contact me for a mailing address. This option may slow the starting date. I cannot start on the project until payment has been received and cleared.